Dear Parents or Caregivers:
On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation, we invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she starts kindergarten.
The concept is simple, and the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to read 1,000 (yes you can even repeat books) before your little one starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. If you read just 1 book at night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started)!
How To Participate
- Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for the both of you.
- Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Make a record of what you are reading in a spiral notebook, notes on a phone app, or you can even pickup a handy numbered reading log from our children's librarian Miss Katie. You can even keep the reading logs for you and your child to look back on for precious memories.
- If you are able to, make sure to keep a record of "any" book that is being read to your child. This includes teachers, sibilings, or attending Story Time at the GYRL.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate? All of them (if they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
Gilmanton Year-Round Library
50 Books: "Stick With It!" Fairytale Scene Sticker Kit
100 Books: NH 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Canvas Tote Bag
250 Books: "Dig Into Reading" Mini Pail and Shovel
500 Books: "Reading Colors Your World" Crayons and Coloring Book
750 Books: "Let Your Imagination Run Wild" Forest Animal Finger Puppets
1000 Books: "Whooo Loves to Read" Owl Pencil, Certificate of Completion, Free Book of Childs choice, and your name on the Fawn display at the GYRL.
Here are some of our Story Time Friends who have completed the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program!